Saturday 14 November 2020

Reception celebrates Diwali

 


Each religion marks different historical events and stories. This week we have had an amazing week celebrating Diwali. We have learnt what Diwali is about and the different ways of celebrating this event. We have looked at the many different traditions such as lights and oil lamps lit up on streets and houses; how people would have visited their relatives sharing feasts, and the use of fireworks to celebrate. The children discussed the festivals which they celebrated too and made observations on the similarities and differences between them. 

As part of our Workshop, the children enjoyed listening to the story of Rama and Sita. The children loved listening to how Rama rescued Sita from the demon King Ravana with the help of Hanuman and his monkey army. After listening to the story the children made and decorated their own diva lamps. We designed our own Rangoli patterns and discussed how bright Rangoli patterns are drawn on the floor to encourage the goddess Lakshmi to enter homes. 



Ayana: “It’s my pattern.”
Henry: “Mrs Gradley, I finished my lamp.”
Amari: “Rama, the guy he saved Sita.”


Chloe: "My lamp is sparkly."
Lily: "I made a pattern."
Sonny: "I used pasta and rice."




Lucas: "Look at my Rangoli pattern"
Freddie: "Woah, it's sticky!'
Pippa: "Look at all the colours I have used for my lamp'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.